Mangano To Host 2nd Annual Veterans BBQ At Eisenhower Park
Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano today announced the 2nd Annual Veterans BBQ will take place on Friday, September 21st from 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. at Eisenhower Park, parking Field 6A.
Throughout the afternoon, veterans and their families can enjoy food, entertainment and a special performance by the USO Girls, thanks to Winthrop Hospital, the event’s main sponsor, and Dover Foods. Generous donations were also made from BK Sweeny’s, Kozy Shack, Panera Bread, Arizona Iced Tea and Pirate’s Booty.
“My administration is committed to serving our veterans and ensuring they have a respectful housing and job opportunities in Nassau County,” said County Executive Mangano. “This is an important way of thanking our brave men and women for their service in protecting our nation.”
County Executive Mangano renewed Nassau’s commitment to its veteran community upon taking office in 2010. Under the direction of County Executive Mangano, Nassau County:
- Opened a 42-unit Affordable Housing Complex in Mitchel Field for veterans and their families and an additional 18 homes for active-duty military personnel.
- Opening a 53-bed transitional housing facility with the New York Veterans Advocacy Group (NYVAG) to assist homeless veterans rebuild their lives.
- Transferred land in Hicksville to a not-for-profit named Homes For Our Homecoming Heroes, which plans to construct a home for a veteran returning from the Middle East.
- Hosts Semi-Annual Stand Downs to feed and clothe homeless veterans.
- Hosts Annual Veteran Job Fairs to help local veterans find local employment.
- Opened a new office for the Nassau Veterans Service Agency in East Meadow at Nassau University Medical Center.
- Joined in the opening of a new Veterans Affairs (VA) health clinic at this same location to provide state-of-the-art medical care for our veterans.
- Installed Restrooms at the Veterans Memorial in Eisenhower Park.
- Hosts an Annual United Veterans Organization Memorial Day & Veterans Day Service, Gold Star Families Remembrance Service, POW/MIA Candlelight Recognition Ceremony, Korean War Veterans Memorial Service,
- Hosts an Annual Veterans Barbeque.
- Provides veteran transportation, including handicapped accessible transportation, to the VA hospital in Northport and the clinic in East Meadow.