A Year of Anniversaries
Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano is pleased to announce that the late Harry F. Guggenheim’s summer residence, Falaise, will be entering its 40th year of tours when it opens for the season on Saturday, June 1st.
2013 is A Year of Anniversaries for Captain Guggenheim and Falaise including:
1913: Captain Guggenheim receives both his BA and MA from Cambridge University in England; Captain Guggenheim and his first wife Helen have their first child, Joan.
1923: Construction begins on the Falaise house; Captain Guggenheim marries his second wife Carol Morton.
1933: Captain Guggenheim’s American ambassadorship to Cuba concludes.
1940: Captain Guggenheim and his third wife Alicia Patterson establish Newsday.
1948: An outdoor swimming pool replaces the rose garden at Falaise.
1953: Captain Guggenheim’s Cain Hoy Stables Dark Star wins the Kentucky Derby.
1963: Captain Guggenheim’s third wife, Alicia Patterson passes away.
1973: Falaise officially opens for public tours on May 20th, two years after Captain Guggenheim passed away.
1978: Reception at Falaise for John Davis and his book “The Guggenheims.”
This elegant mansion built in the style of a 13th century Norman manor house is one of the last of the remaining great estates that once comprised Long Island’s Gold Coast. It is furnished with antiques, many from the 16th and 17th centuries, wood carvings, sculptures and Renaissance paintings. These and other furnishings recall Captain Guggenheim’s military career, passion for aviation, public service, interest in thoroughbred horse racing, and long friendships with Charles A. Lindbergh and Dr. Robert H. Goddard, among others.
At a private tour just prior to the official public opening, Charles Lindbergh was quoted saying that he considered Falaise, “One of the most beautiful buildings in the world.”
Falaise is located on the Sands Point Preserve, Middleneck Road, Sands Point, NY 11050. Falaise is open for tours from Saturday, June 1st through Sunday, October 27th on Thursdays through Sundays. The tour bus leaves Castlegould at 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m.; admission is $10. Tours are approximately one hour and are conducted by volunteer docents.
Falaise is not wheelchair accessible. No interior recording or photography is allowed. Tours are not suitable for children under twelve.
For more information please call: (516) 571-7900 or visit the website at: www.nassaucountyny.gov/parks.