Abrahams encourages residents to be aware of holiday gift card scams
Mineola, NY – Nassau County Legislator Kevan Abrahams (D-Hempstead) encouraged residents today to be aware of a few simple tips they can use to ensure that they do not fall victim to a gift card scam this holiday season.
“The holiday season can be a wonderful time of year for giving gifts to friends and families,” Abrahams said. “But with the giving spirit come people looking to exploit it, and gift cards, a popular and convenient present, provide just such an opportunity.”
- Purchase gift cards only from reputable sources, preferably directly from the store
- Examine both sides of the card, keeping an eye out for signs of tampering and/or exposure of the card’s PINs. Refuse to purchase cards where either is present.
- If acquiring cards online, but them directly from the online versions of the stores they are to be used in, never auction sites.
- Keep your receipt as proof of purchase.
- Reputable companies will never provide Social Security numbers, bank account information, or dates of birth.
- If possible, register your gift card at the store’s Web site. Doing so allows you to periodically check your card’s balance and monitor for any misuse of the card.
“By following these easy-to-follow steps, you can ensure that your gift card purchase will be a welcomed gift,” Abrahams said.