(Mineola, NY) Nassau County Clerk Maureen O’Connell reminds homeowners whose initial property tax grievance was denied by the Assessment Review Commission are eligible to file an appeal through the County Clerk’s Office. This appeal, called a Small Claims Assessment Review (SCAR) Petition allows for the homeowner to file a court challenge to the denial. The County filing period deadline for this year is May 31, 2013. Individual incorporated village filing periods may vary so be sure to consult with them directly.

SCAR Petitions and instructions can be obtained at the County Clerk’s Office or on the County Clerk’s website at Petitions can be completed by the homeowner, a service or a representative prior to filing. The completed petition must be accompanied by a $30.00 filing fee and should include supporting statements, records and other relevant information. The filing fee can be cash, check or money order payable to the "Nassau County Clerk."

If you cannot file in person, you may mail your petition. Mailings must be postmarked by May 31, 2013. Submit your completed original petition and one copy along with the filing fee and a self-addressed stamped envelope to receive your filing receipt to:

Nassau County Clerk
240 Old Country Road
Room 108
Mineola, New York 11501

After filing with the County Clerk’s Office, a copy of your petition has to be served on the Nassau County Assessor, your local school district, and your incorporated village, if applicable.  Also, be sure to retain one copy for your own records. Please note that normally the Nassau County Treasurer’s Office would be served a copy, however the Treasurer has waived service this year.

After filing with the Clerk’s Office, petitions are immediately forwarded to Supreme Court. You or your representative will be contacted directly by the Supreme Court hearing officer assigned to the case with the date, time and place for your hearing.

The County Clerk’s Office is not involved in scheduling the hearing or providing you with the decision. To check on the status of your case, call the Supreme Court at (516) 493-3130. After your hearing, a copy of the decision will be sent to you or your representative directly from Supreme Court.