Nassau County Clerk Maureen O’Connell reminds homeowners who had their property tax grievances denied by the Assessment Review Commission that they are eligible to file an appeal in the County Clerk’s Office.  This appeal, called a Small Claims Assessment Review (SCAR) Petition allows for the affected homeowner to file a court challenge to the denial.  The filing period began on April 1st and the deadline has been extended for 2011 until June 1, 2011. 

You may obtain SCAR Petitions at the County Clerk’s Office or on the County Clerk’s website at  Petitions can be completed on your own, or you may have a representative do it for you.  The completed petition must be accompanied by a $30.00 filing fee and should include supporting statements, records and other relevant information.  The filing fee can be cash, check or money order payable to the "Nassau County Clerk." 

If you cannot file in person, you may mail your petition.  Mailings must be postmarked by June 1, 2011.  Submit your completed original petition and one copy along with the filing fee and a self-addressed stamped envelope to receive your filing receipt to: 

Nassau County Clerk

240 Old Country Road

Room 108

Mineola, New York 11501

            After filing with the County Clerk’s Office, a copy of your petition has to be served on the Nassau County Assessor, your local school district, and your incorporated village, if applicable.  Also, be sure to retain one copy for your own records.  Please note that normally the Nassau County Treasurer’s Office would be served a copy, however the Treasurer has waived service this year.      

After filing with the Clerk’s Office, petitions are immediately forwarded to Supreme Court. You or your representative will be contacted directly by the Supreme Court hearing officer assigned to the case with the date, time and place for your hearing. 

The County Clerk’s Office is not involved in scheduling the hearing or providing you with the decision.  To check on the status of your case, call the Supreme Court at (516) 571-1640.  After your hearing, a copy of the decision will be sent to you or your representative directly from Supreme Court.