January 9, 2008

Property Assessment Grievance Period - Jan 2 - Mar 3

As a result of the reassessment process, it is important that you be aware of your right under the law to file a formal legal grievance challenging the amount of your new property assessment.  You can examine the tentative assessment roll that was filed on January 2, 2008 in the Nassau County Department of Assessment, 240 Old Country Road, Mineola.  If, after looking at the roll, you disagree with the amount of your new assessment, I urge you to initiate the grievance process.

The period during which you may file a grievance began on January 2, 2008 and ends on March 3, 2008. Grievance applications, as well as a publication containing procedures for contesting your assessment are available at the Nassau County Department of Assessment, 240 Old Country Road, 4th Floor, Mineola.  The Department phone number is 571-1183. More information regarding tax challenges, as well as an application that may be filed online can be found at www.nassaucountyny.gov/arc.

If you wish, you may call the Nassau County Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Information Service at 747-4832, Monday through Friday, between 10 A.M. and 4 P.M. for assistance in locating attorneys who specialize in assessment challenges.  Most of these companies do not charge a fee unless they are successful in obtaining a reduction in your assessment.

If you would like more information about the grievance process or need other assistance, please don’t hesitate to call my office at 571-6213.