Criminal Complaint Unit and Consumer Information

The Criminal Complaint Unit assists the public in filing criminal complaints, both in person and in writing.  Once a complaint is filed with the Unit, it is carefully evaluated to determine if charges should be filed or an investigation should begin.  If it is appropriate, the complaint is then assigned to one of the investigative bureaus within the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office.

The Unit is located at:

The Criminal Complaint Unit
Nassau County District Attorney’s Office
272 Old Country Road
Mineola, NY 11501

If you are disabled or otherwise unable to come to the Criminal Complaint Unit, please mail completed forms to the above address or call 516-571-3505 and other arrangements will be made so that your complaint can be reviewed.

Please also use the advice and links below to protect yourself and your family from being the victim of a fraud.

General Complaints

If you believe that you have been the victim of a fraudulent act, please print out the General Complaint Form, fill out your information and bring it to the Criminal Complaint Unit.

General Complaint Form


Senior Scams

Click here to read about common scams targeting senior citizens and what seniors and their caregivers to protect themselves:

Senior Scams


Bad Checks

If you think you may have received a bad check, please print out the Bad Check Complaint Form, fill out your information and bring it to the Criminal Complaint Unit.

Bad Check Complaint Form

If you believe that you have been the victim of a passed bad check, this brochure will inform you of the procedure you should take to contest the check.

Please note that the Nassau County District Attorney's Office is only able to investigate and prosecute bad checks if the check was received in Nassau County or the bank branch on the face of the check is located in Nassau County.

Bad Checks Brochure


Home Contractors

The public is urged to call The Nassau County Office of Consumer Affairs before entering into an agreement with a home contractor.  By calling the Office of Consumer Affairs, at 516-571-2600, you will be able to check complaint records of businesses that exist in Nassau County.  In addition, you will be able to verify that the home contractor has a valid license to work in Nassau County.


Identity/Credit Card Theft

Please read this information on what steps to take if you believe that you have been a victim of identity or credit card theft.

Identity - Credit Card Theft

Be wary of unsolicited requests for your personal information.  Legitimate financial institutions will not call an individual to verify personal information that is already on file.


Real Estate Fraud

Never sign a deed to save your house from foreclosure.  Before signing any documents, consult with an attorney.  If you make the mistake of signing a deed over to a third party with a promise to transfer the property back; be aware that you no longer own the property and that the new owner will probably try to evict you from the property based on the transferring of the deed.


Sweepstakes Fraud:

If you have won a legitimate contest or sweepstakes, you would NEVER be required to wire money as part of claming your prize.

Please check back with us as new information will be updated on this page. You are also welcome to look at the Helpful Links included on this website. These tools are here to educate and protect the citizens and consumers of Nassau County.


Medicaid Fraud

You can help root out fraud and waste in government. If you think you know of a case of Medicaid fraud, call (888) 633-4311 or fill out this form.

Medicaid Complaint Form


Local Organizations Helping Consumers

Long Island Better Business Bureau

Nassau County Office of Consumer Affairs

For Consumer complaints regarding individuals or entities outside the jurisdiction of the Nassau County District Attorney

Office of New York State Attorney General

For Consumer complaints outside New York State

Federal Trade Commission

For Internet fraud and/or cybercrime

Office of the Nassau County District Attorney - Keeping Your Child Safe on the Internet - Or call our Criminal Frauds Bureau at  (516) 571-3343

Securities and Exchange Commission

The Internet Fraud Complaint Center

The Internet Crime Complaint Center

If you think you have been a victim of an Internet investment scheme, you can file an online complaint with the SEC through a link on the commission's web site or by e-mail

Or write to:

Nassau County District Attorney's Office
262 Old Country Road
Mineola, New York 11501

OR CALL (516) 571-3505